The child shall be registered immediately after birth, and shall have the right from birth to a name, the right to acquire a nationality…. – Article 7, UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
The goal of JEWEL’s Documentation Taskforce is universal birth registration among all Malaysians, and universal primary education for all children. We strongly believe in building a protective environment for our children, and that begins with birth registration.
It goes without saying – without a birth certificate, the child will face problems accessing basic services such as healthcare and education. Once the child’s mother dies or disappears, sorting out documentation and proving citizenship becomes an uphill battle. Hence our commitment to helping those who are at risk of statelessness, so that they may avoid a lifetime of uncertainty.
Since our inception in 2008, JEWEL volunteers have assisted several hundred Malaysians of all races who were at risk of statelessness, to obtain proper documentation. We also ensure as far as possible that every primary-school aged child is registered in school.
Our focus areas are:
- application for birth certificates
- application for Malaysian identity cards
- marriage registration
- school admission for every child
Even today, we regularly encounter Malaysians who do not have citizenship for a variety of reasons:
- due to their own parents being undocumented
- having been abandoned or fostered out in childhood
- family disruption (father in jail, domestic violence, etc)
- inability to access services, or not knowing how to complete the process
- just plain irresponsibility on the part of the parents to not do things properly
While we make every effort to assist those who come to us for help, please note the following:
- We are NOT a ‘middleman’ or ‘runner’ service. There is NO ‘service charge’ for our services. JEWEL members are volunteers who contribute their valuable time to assist those who may otherwise not know how navigate the system, due to poor education etc.
- We do NOT do illegal adoptions or ‘backdoor’ services for illegal immigrants.
- All cases are taken through proper channels at the National Registration Department.
- Please DO NOT LIE to us. We cannot assist you if you lie about the background of the case, or if your story keeps changing.
We do periodically come across stories that don’t make sense, or which we suspect is fraudulent. We reserve the right to turn away any case which we feel is not above board. Our volunteer energy is limited and precious, and we cannot afford to waste our time.
- Leaving a child undocumented is the worst thing you can do.
- Do not hand over your original documents to a middleman or runner. Either go to the National Registration Department (NRD) yourself, or ask your Member of Parliament for help, or ask a registered NGO for help.
- NRD services cost very little. The penalty for late birth registration is RM50 only. Do not believe rumours about huge fines, or that the police will catch you at the NRD office.
- Make a sincere effort to help yourself and help your child.
JEWEL persons in charge:
Thanam Tel: 016-716 0405
Nithiya Tel: 012-777 8809
Strictly office hours only please.
Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara, Negeri Johor
Kompleks Kementerian Dalam Negeri (KDN)
Taman Setia Tropika
81200 Johor Bahru